A Day In The Life (20 June 2024)

Today was scheduled to be the last of the heat-spell for us in the mid-90s. With yesterday supposed to be the hottest of the days, I was pretty confident today would be a breeze, all things considered. The day started off mild with a lower temperature and humidity at 5 AM than the past two days, and the forecast, well proved to be as common as a chicken laying an egg.

While the morning started off mild and comfortable enough to warrant an extra hour in the bed, the forecast was such that one should know better; especially considering, weatherman get paid to be wrong. The morning morning quickly turned into hot, humid, and turned out to be the hottest day of this spell, and of the year so far. But, life goes on on the farm, and up and at ‘em we go each day.

For the past couple days our neighbor has been preparing one of his fields for bringing in hay for us, throughout the heat. After three days of labor in the heat, today was the day to get the forage up and in the barn. While he sat in the heat upon his tractors working the field in the heat, I would spend the day in the heat trying to get the mow ready to receive the bales in between working the livestock. I would like to think that I lost more weight in sweat under the heat of being in the mow, but, I think he lost more being in the sun all day.

While during my usual day of occupying the predictable discourse of events, I would watch the progress of the hay production across the street hoping we win the race of time of the forecast storms. By the time I was able to get myself in a position of being set on the needs of the animals in the heat, it was already 3:00 PM, and much hay was already baled and ready for collection off the field. Naturally, this is when the front started to come through. While the wind gust and cloud-cover eased the heat, the visible rain and lightning to the north did not ease the need to get the hay off the field and in the barn.

Together we all collected the first wagon off the field, took it next door, and got it thrown into the main aisle.

The rain would hold off for us to get the remaining hay off the field with only a little drizzle starting as we crossed the street to unload the second trailer load. We decided as the rain finally started to tarp the load and call it a day. After being completely drenched while tarping the hay, it was time sit and watch it rain from the porch until the cell passed while the rain dripping of us served only to wash the days sweat into our eyes.

The rain did stop after 15 minutes. Looking at the weather, it seemed we would be able to remove the tarp and get the hay unloaded. After changing into dry clothing and beginning to put on dry shoes to finish the day, the rain would start again. This time the rain would be as heavy as possible and the lightning and thunder would start the storm’s dance overhead. The day was over, and the hay would be there waiting in the morning.